Fish Vava'u with Skipper Keith McKee:
Vava’u is primarily a Blue Marlin and Sailfish fishery. Striped Marlin and Blacks are here at certain times of the year but are not predominant. Mahi-mahi, Yellow-fin Tuna and Wahoo are normally a common catch and available to be caught most of the year with a few Giant Trevally and Dogtooth Tuna being landed at certain times of the year.
We troll for our fish using mainly lures and occasionally live and dead baits. During the course of the day, weather and sea conditions permitting, we stop at the F.A.D’s to do some cubing and strip baiting (weather conditions permitting) however we do not spend our total day on this activity, unless the clients have the sole charter of the boat and it is their choice.
- Kiwi Magic is a 34 foot custom built fibreglass Mariner sport fisher built by Viberg Marine and launched in Auckland, New Zealand
- Full Safety equipment carried: Six man life raft, life jackets, EPIRB, flares, fire extinguishers, V.H.F and S.S.B Radios
- Latest electronics: G.P.S., 24 mile Radar, 2 kw Colour sounder operating to 1000 fathoms
- Large fishing cockpit with shade cover for protection from sun and rain.
- Stove, with tea and coffee making facilities
- Custom built heavy duty game chair
- Toilet and shower
For trolling we provide four 60kg Avet reels. (80mm wide, two speed). Four 60 kg Shimano Tiagra bent butt rods. Two 24kg Tiagra stand-up rods and reels (50mm wide). Three 15kg rods and reels.
For the light tackle and ultra light tackle enthusiasts we would recommend you bring your own terminal tackle, rods, reels etc. as this is not supplied on board.
Check out this great story with photographs from one of our happy anglers at fishnhunt.co.nz